jueves, 23 de agosto de 2012

Language and Piercings

Sarita está en bsas! Y la aerolínea perdió su equipaje también jajaja. Qué pena. 

I´m so happy because Sarah told me that my Spanish got a lot better. YES! Achievement unlocked!

So Sarah and I are playing a game...we HAVE to speak only in Spanish with each other (except in high stress situations) or else you get a Naughty point for speaking English. The person with the most naughty points at the end of the trip is the loser and has to treat Justina to dinner ;) (yeah that's right Sarah, you're going DOWN).

-------------------------------------
New vocab:

Porteñ
o: a person from buenos aires
Boludo: an affectionate/vulgar way to address friends, could also be used as an insult for strangers...literally means something like "big balls" but porteños use it alllllll the time, even the cat is called boludo
Chao: goodbye
Acá/allá: for here and there, instead of the usual aquí/allí

Claro/Dale: porteños say claro kinda like one uses "yeah" while the other person is talking, and dale to say "okay" like after someone asks you to do something (ex. Dale me lo prendo: ok I'll stick to it).
A vos: another way of saying de nada, you´re welcome
Un bahón: that sucks

In Argentina they use vos instead of tú for you.

Also the ll always makes a ch/j instead of y sound. Once someone offered me an empanada and told me it had 'jam and cheese' inside and I was like hm, thats wierd but okay I´ll try it, took a bite and realized she had been saying ham and cheese. 
-----------------------------------------


I met a couchsurfer from Denmark with the most hilarious story...A cute porteño had emailed her with the salutation, "Hola Linda!¨ She got super annoyed and responded, "My name's not Linda!!!!" without realizing linda means pretty. hahaha.


On a random note, a lot of people in bsas have eyebrow piercings! What the. My first day here I was like ¨my people!¨ haha!

Another random note, when I ask porteños what they think of people from the states, they usually say fat. 


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario